The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Petlinks Plush Player Refillable Catnip Cat Toy, QuailClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Petface Grey Window Pane Check Square Bed, Medium with Petface Jungle Ducks (style of duck varies) Dog ToysPetface Little Petface Collar & Lead set Mixed Stars Small (PACK OF 2)Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Petface Mollie's Faux Suede Leopard Igloo Cat Bed (PACK OF 2)since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
PetLuv Happy Pet Cat & Dog Crate & Carrier Premium Soft Sided Foldable Top & Side Loading Pet Carrier & Travel Crate Locking Zippers Shoulder Straps Seat Belt Lock Nap Pillow Reduces AnxietyPETMAKER Furniture Predector Pet Cover for Dogs and Cats with Shredded Memory Foam filled 3Sided Bolster Soft Plush Fabric by 35 ” x 35 ” Brown
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Petface Oxford Waterproof Oval Puppy Dog Bed Cushion Basket Chocolate Brown S
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Petmat Recyl Rbr Big Bone BlackPetmate 25163 Barn III Dog House, MediumPetmate 42091 Basic Hooded Litter Pan, Jumbo
Thunder Snow (20-1):Petface Poop Bags 100 per pack (PACK OF 6) This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Furzone FA12 Animal Blade Set, Large
- HYUE Pet Backpack One Shoulder Out Portable Breathable Collapsable Pet Backpack (color bluee, Size One Size)
- KESS InHouse SS1011ADM02 Snap Studio Feelin' Frosty bluee White Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15
- Mirage Pet Products Argyle Paw Green Screen Print Shirt Grey XXXL (20)
- Pet Bowl, Supplies Utensils Lace Iron Frame Stainless Steel Double Bowl Lace Iron Frame Cat and Dog
- Portable Breathable Small Dog Travel Bag Pet Carrier Indoor Travel SL(Green)
- bluee RABILTY Four Sides Warm Pet Kennel Dog House Dog Mat Cat Litter Pet Waterloo (color bluee)
- RED M 605019cmC_1X Kennel, Pet Nest, Warm, Medium, Washable, Winter, Dog Bed, Small Dog, Dog Pet Supplies, Pet Bed, Cat House, House,(Khaki, Red, bluee) (color Khaki, Size XL 80 60 20cm)
- color Green M color Green M JEZBSY Ceramic Pet Bowl with Sturdy Bamboo Stand for Food and Water Bowls Pet Feeders with Melamine Stand (color color Green, Size M)
- Grey GLJY Pet Sleeping Nap Mat, Dog Bed Pads,Pet Cat Couch Pad
- (10 Pack) Tetra TetraPond Holiday Food 98g
- CPC Faux Suede and Tipped Berber Coat Jacket for Dogs, Large, Caramel
- bluee Anti-Feeding Dog Bowl Slow Food Slow Food Safe Non-Toxic Long-Lasting Durable (color bluee)
- Pet Essentials Skudo 2 Standard Pet Carrier [E98432] [Neoteric Edition]