The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Kess InHouse Maynard Logan Catch Pet Dog Blanket, 60 by 50InchClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
KESS InHouse Lazar Milanovic Yellow & bluee Composition bluee Yellow Pet Bowl, 7 KESS InHouse LE2011ADM02 Laura Evans Up Close & Personal Pink Floral Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15 Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) KESS InHouse Li Zamperini bluee Mandala Aqua Black Dog Bed, 30 x 40 since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
KESS InHouse MB6014ADM02 Maria Bazarova Waves White bluee Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15 KESS InHouse MD1039ADM02 Michelle Drew Vintage Ikat Pink Green Magenta Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.KESS InHouse Li Zamperini Floralia Multicolor Pink Watercolor Floral Pet Bowl, 7 Diameter
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
KESS InHouse MF1002ADM02 Petit Griffin Dream Catchers Digital Beige Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15 KESS InHouse Michelle Drew Wanderlust Pink Skies Coral Geometric Dog Bed, 30 x 40 KESS InHouse Miranda MOL Ethnic Border Indigo orange Dog Bed, 30 x 40
Thunder Snow (20-1):KESS InHouse Li Zamperini Marine Green bluee Dog Bed, 30 x 40 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- As-picture 137147cm As-picture 137147cm HOUYAZHAN Removable Anti-dirty Car Pet Mat Rear Seat Dog Car Mat (color, Size 137 147cm)
- Hurtta Half Choke Collar color Juniper Size 2030cm 812inch
- KESS InHouse RB1063ADM02 Rosie Brown bluee Green Zentangle bluee Green Dog Place Mat, 24 x 15
- Mirage Pet Products 12Inch Classic American Hoodies, Medium, Baby bluee
- Pet Bed Pet Sofa Cat Nest Pet Nest Dog Nest Cat Kennel Kennel Removable Washable Semiclosed Autumn And Winter Warm FENGMING (color BROWN)
- PLTJPbs Pet supplies winter pets square nest pad pet cat litter kennel warm
- SHI RUI WaterResistant Tactical Military K9 Dog Harness Vest Walking Hiking Hunting MOLLE Training Harness for Service Dog (L, Tan)
- 47685cm Pet Bed Pet Bed Heat Dissipation Dog Mat Pet Mat Pet Sleeping Pad Pet Waterloo Small Pet Sofa Pet Supplies Cat Dog Nest
- Dechra TrizChlor 4 Shampoo 8-Ounce
- B NYTJ RETRACTABLE DOG LEAD With Torch Water Bowl Bag Container Treats Compartment And Digital Clock (color B)
- Aqua Shield Poodle Mat, Aquamarine, 2 x 3
- Medium (up to 50 lb.) Mr. Herzher's 13302 Medium Pet Residence, Dark
- One Bella Casa Cutest Cat Wood Throw Pillow, 18 by 18-Inch
- Red Medium (22\ Red Medium (22\ Peak Pooch Dog Support Harness Vest, No Pull with Reflective Trim and Padded Comfort Red, Medium
- Vivexotic Viva+ Arboreal Large-Deep Walnut 1150mmx610mmx915mm
- 6 Pack Reptile Hide Box (Small 5.5 x4 x2.13 )