The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
KESS InHouse Laura Nicholson Sawtooth Flower bluee Nature Pet Bowl, 7 Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
KESS InHouse Kess Original Palmtastic Tan Brown Abstract Dog Bed, 30 x 40 KESS InHouse Kess Original Peacock Vintage orange Yellow Dog Bed, 30 x 40 Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) KESS InHouse Kess Original Shine on Beige orange Dog Bed, 30 x 40 since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Kess InHouse Laurie Baars Pagoda Leaf Pet Bowl, 7Inch, Floral IllustrationKESS InHouse Li Zamperini Flame Red Yellow Dog Bed, 30 x 40
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.KESS InHouse Kess Original Summer Nights Black orange Dog Bed, 30 x 40
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
KESS InHouse Li Zamperini Ombre Green Purple Pet Bowl, 7 KESS InHouse Liz Perez Indigo Soul Pastel Multicolor Digital Dog Bed, 30 x 40 Kess InHouse Lydia Martin 'Red Tip Tulip' Dog Blanket, 40 by 30Inch
Thunder Snow (20-1):KESS InHouse Kess Original Tucson SunsetTags Dog Bed, 30 x 40 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- L The Mutley Collection Brasil Olympic Soccer Warm-Up Track Jacket for Dogs, Large
- 5KG TROPICAL FISH FLAKES TOP QUALITY FOOD by MALTBYS STORES
- Greyhound, Brindle Pen Easy Glide Gel Pen, Refillable With A Perfect Grip, Great For Everyday Use, Perfect Greyhound, Brindle Gifts For Any Occasion
- Medium Pet Bed Traditional Willow Material Hand-Knit Pet Bed Environmental Predection Breathable Cat Litter Minimalism Cotton Cushion Comfortable Soft Kennel Four Seasons Be Usable Dog House Thicken Durable
- Pink Large pink Large Bolster Pet Bed with Washable Bolster Padding Anti-Slip Mattress for Dogs and Cats
- Reflective Dog Collar Double Nylon 1 Wide Fits 17 -21.5 Neck Labrador, Amstaff, Boxer
- White 352947cm White 352947cm HYUE Space Pet Backpack Cat Out of The Carrier Backpack Pet Capsule Backpack (color White, Size 35 29 47cm)
- Aspen Pet 80137 Self Warming Rectangular Lounger for Pets, 30 by 24Inch, Warm Spice with Creme
- Aeteretk At919c Submersible 1 Dog Training Shock Collar 1000m Remote Range Rechargeable
- Aoligei Cat Play Towers & Trees Station Large cattree plush cat jumping on Cat's Nest sisal pillar 55 65 158cm
- Dean and Tyler SIMPLICITY , Leather Dog Collar with Chrome Plated Steel Hardware Brown Size 26Inch by 13 4Inch Fits Neck 24Inch to 28Inch